02 August 2005

Taking a day or two off from the blog



I'm supposed to be getting a new laptop this week. Many will remember that I have had a few computer mishaps lately. My main computer is a laptop that goes everywhere with me. I've used laptops for more than a decade, and generally wear one out every 18 months or so. (It takes me about 10 months to wear the paint off the keycaps. Literally.)

The current laptop is already more than 2 and a half years old, and it's been the most durable computer I have ever had (even though it has had an annoying tendencey to overheat, and sporadic power-supply problems from day one). Now it's definitely time for an upgrade.

And I hate it, because it means at least a three-day ordeal installing software, transferring data, and setting up the system the way I want it. So be forewarned: I'm likely to be slightly more cantankerous than usual for the remainder of the week. And I won't get a lot done. I may post, but don't expect anything profound and insightful—or lighthearted and full of warmth.

Meanwhile, check this out: "Why Boomers resist the 'Emergent fad.'" I thought it was an interesting and candid perspective.

And if you still get bored, read Steve Hays and Steve Camp, and be sure to alternate between the two of them. That ought to keep everyone busy for a while.

Phil's signature

3 comments:

Evangelical books said...

Phil,

Just curious, what laptop do you have now, and what will you be getting next?

Anonymous said...

#5 reason why I love Phil's blog: He uses words like 'cantankerous' in everyday language...thanks, Phil! :)

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Purchase an Apple and all of your wildest dreams will come true. It's kinda like voting for Pedro.