It's simple, really. The blogroll has needed an overhaul for some time. It reflects blogs I read regularly. Until now, it has been a list of blogs I try to read daily, but I wanted to expand it, because there are several good blogs I wanted to link to that I can't necessarily read every single day.
- "Entertaining" is a perfectly good category, and not a "lesser" category than "Interesting." There are many blogs that could fit equally well in either category, but I have tended to put those that keep me amused and smiling in "Entertaining," and those that make me pensive and reflective in "Interesting." If I had to assign PyroManiac to any category on my own blogroll, I would proudly and without hesitation add it to the "Entertaining" category.
- "Convivial" is a perfectly good category, too. If it seems like all the girl-blogs wound up in "Convivial," I noticed that, too. I'm not trying to segregate the women in a category of their own. (Note that Intellectuelle made "Interesting.") It's just that the women bloggers whose writing I enjoy tend to write more personal and less didactic material. They seemed to fit best in "Convivial," which is not to say I don't find them interesting and entertaining as well. (Hey, no one is more entertaining than a home-school mom who has her hackles up.) But I organized my blogroll by what makes sense to me. If someone thinks my male chauvinism is showing, so be it. Here's a blog you might like.
- I did not "demote" or delete anyone as a punitive measure for a post that I disagreed with. If I wanted to send someone a message, I wouldn't be so subtle about it.
- Speaking of which, some blogs may be listed but not linked. They are in my penalty box. Why? you ask? "A couple of reasons," I reply. I'll unlink a site temporarily if they post gratuitous scatology, blasphemy, or anything else that deeply offends my moral sensibilities. If they insult or offend Darlene, I may unlink them for a much longer period of time. If someone posts white supremacist or neo-Nazi material, I may unlink them permanently but leave their name in a category such as "Apalling" (especially if they have at times linked to any of my websites), because I think it's appropriate to signal my displeasure, but I don't want to drive traffic to their sites.
- I know there are blogs I should be linked to but haven't listed yet. I'll add them as I think of them. Bribery and threats won't get you listed here, however, so don't try it.