21 November 2005

About those blogroll revisions...

bog-rollAll sorts of speculation has been going on about the revisions in my blogroll and What It All Might Mean.

It's simple, really. The blogroll has needed an overhaul for some time. It reflects blogs I read regularly. Until now, it has been a list of blogs I try to read daily, but I wanted to expand it, because there are several good blogs I wanted to link to that I can't necessarily read every single day.

Some observations:

  1. "Entertaining" is a perfectly good category, and not a "lesser" category than "Interesting." There are many blogs that could fit equally well in either category, but I have tended to put those that keep me amused and smiling in "Entertaining," and those that make me pensive and reflective in "Interesting." If I had to assign PyroManiac to any category on my own blogroll, I would proudly and without hesitation add it to the "Entertaining" category.
  2. "Convivial" is a perfectly good category, too. If it seems like all the girl-blogs wound up in "Convivial," I noticed that, too. I'm not trying to segregate the women in a category of their own. (Note that Intellectuelle made "Interesting.") It's just that the women bloggers whose writing I enjoy tend to write more personal and less didactic material. They seemed to fit best in "Convivial," which is not to say I don't find them interesting and entertaining as well. (Hey, no one is more entertaining than a home-school mom who has her hackles up.) But I organized my blogroll by what makes sense to me. If someone thinks my male chauvinism is showing, so be it. Here's a blog you might like.
  3. I did not "demote" or delete anyone as a punitive measure for a post that I disagreed with. If I wanted to send someone a message, I wouldn't be so subtle about it.
  4. Speaking of which, some blogs may be listed but not linked. They are in my penalty box. Why? you ask? "A couple of reasons," I reply. I'll unlink a site temporarily if they post gratuitous scatology, blasphemy, or anything else that deeply offends my moral sensibilities. If they insult or offend Darlene, I may unlink them for a much longer period of time. If someone posts white supremacist or neo-Nazi material, I may unlink them permanently but leave their name in a category such as "Apalling" (especially if they have at times linked to any of my websites), because I think it's appropriate to signal my displeasure, but I don't want to drive traffic to their sites.
  5. I know there are blogs I should be linked to but haven't listed yet. I'll add them as I think of them. Bribery and threats won't get you listed here, however, so don't try it.

Phil's signature

33 comments:

Steve Weaver said...

(Jumping up in air with hand stretched up as far as possible.) "PICK ME! PICK ME!"

Matthew Self said...

So does this mean I can list you as a reference on my resume?

Away From The Brink said...

Dear Phil:

Thanks for the link.

Regards,

Gregg Hanke

ps two g's at the end...

Carla Rolfe said...

I'm perfectly content with being in the convivial category. It gives me something to aspire to when I'm having a snark-i-trocious day.

:-|

Daniel Calle said...

Dear Phil:
If you understand spanish, maybe you would like my blog
Tu gloria, mi placer

Adios!!

JRODFOSS said...

I know what I want for Christmas. A roll of the Pyromanicas Signature Line of TP.

JROD

JRODFOSS said...

Sorry, I meant Pyromaniacs.

JROD

Scott Aniol said...

Thanks for the link, Phil.

Chris Freeland said...

Phil,

Today I proudly stuck the Pyromaniac decal to my truck and drove around DTS just as you requesed. Unfortunately, despite your promises, none of my professors offered to let me clep out of their class.

Carla Rolfe said...

um... Phil?

About that logo on the TP?

In a word: "eww"

Frank Martens said...

I feel like it's sad that you even have to post explaining your blog roll :)

Frank Martens said...

and I'm liking the TP idea, however. Wouldn't you want a blog name on there of a blog that you don't like?

*shrug* just a thought.

Kay said...

*Bounces hair in a girly sort of way*

What does didactic mean, Mr Johnson?

*cow eyes*

Jon said...

Phil,

Define reading regularly... I mean... You read mine regularly... When I talk about you. I reckon you'd link if my blog was named the Phil Johnson Appreciation Blog... Or Spurgeon is the Daddy... You have linked my blog a couple of times actually. That's good enough to me.

Here's a hint. If you mention me in your blog... Then I'll "blogroll" you... Then we'll be narcissists together. Deal?

Take it easy,
Your English Nemesis

Kim said...

Hey, isn't the use of whisper toilet paper bordering on scatalogical?

Doug said...

Pterodactyl, Pterodactyl, Pterodactyl, Pterodactyl, Pterodactyl, Pterodactyl.

Hey, it works on the good thoughts site!

Jonathan Moorhead said...

Chris, watch out for the DTS Police – they may ticket for things like that.

Phil, thanks for the link.

candy said...

libbie didactic means teaching or moralizing about something. the ladies on here are more personal perhaps. by the way, I find both you and Carla very witty at times.

Chris Freeland said...

Jonathan,

No worries. Phil assured me that the decal would suffice as a parking sticker, and would allow me the ability to use Bailey's parking spot when I beat him to school.

FX Turk said...

The graphic in today's entry is classic. CLASSIC!

Forgiven Sinner said...

I would like to know where Chris got his Pyromaniac Bumper sticker....I am still trying to figure out how to attach a picture to this blog.......any suggestions?

Paul Lamey said...

Phil the wise,

I feel like your linking to me in your heart because you have now added Moorhead and Heinrich...which both link to me! So in a secondary sort of way I'm on your blogroll.

Aaron said...

"Bribery and threats won't get you listed here, however, so don't try it."

But what about begging?

candy said...

fellows fawning for phil so that blogs feature in future features. :)

Carla Rolfe said...

Candy, you said "I find both you and Carla very witty at times."

I had to laugh, and hope you didn't mean that those times you don't find Libbie and I witty, you consider us babbling lunatics.

Nothing against babbling lunatics, of course. :-|

JRODFOSS said...

My christmas dream can now come true. I found a website’ that offers custom printed TP.

They also have a "Mini Travel Pack" so you can take the Pyro with you wherever you go.

JROD

Daniel said...

Who doesn't want a Phil Johnson link?

I am just happy to see that there is a community of believers who are being edified and challenged by your blog Phil - keep it up!

v-word: knoylhj - the k is silent.

RodeoClown said...

Hi Phil,
Have you considered using an RSS reader instead of checking all these blogs yourself?

It's a program that automatically checks blogs and lets you know when they have updated. It's the way I read your site, and it means I can keep tabs on about 120 or so blogs without having to check every page every day.

I use one called Great News which lets you read all the blogs like a newspaper.

Anyway, I thought this might help you keep up with all your blog reading.

Keep posting please, I thanks God for some of your (and Spurgeon's) insights.

-Ian Tyrrell

Steve Weaver said...

Phil,

Thanks for the link! I'm honored!

Steve

Momo said...

Hey Phil, thanks for linking me. Just to let you know, I don't consider the proofed Spurgeon sermons I sent you yesterday a bribe. I look at it like Christian service. Consider:

Being linked at all on the Pyromaniac is grace - undeserved favor. I could never pay it back now matter how hard I tried, because I have nothing of value to offer that you could not accomplish yourself in a multitude of ways. So I offer you the proofed sermons out of a heart of gratitude and a looking forward to future grace.

(Would Piper be proud of me?)

Mike Perrigoue said...

Thanks for the clarification, Phil. I was wondering why some of these links didn't work...

Good thinking...although, I'm not so sure the curiosity won't kill-the-cat...so to speak.

BTW, what causes you to check out blogs you've never been to before?

Sharad Yadav said...

Thanks for the link, Phil! I'm not sure if provactive is good or bad, but I'm assuming it's the former, since your profile identifies you as a "provocateur"!

Anonymous said...

Are you the same "Phil Johnson" that is an elder at John McArthur's church out there in Cali?